June 21, 2013

R.I.P. Kim Thompson, Fantagraphics Publisher

Along with Gary Groth, Kim Thompson helped lay the foundation for Fantagraphics Books, which published some amazing independent comics, books and other material from my childhood.



Thompson passed away this week. Fantagraphics Books stirred my imagination with of the best alternative books of my youth during the 80s and 90s.

Love and Rockets; Fantagraphics catalog

Without Fantagraphics, I would've never discovered titles such as Usagi Yojimbo and Love and Rockets. Far from the worlds of superheroes, these two books were my alternative to corporate driven gimmicks and shenangans from both Marvel and DC Comics at that time (okay, maybe today as well!). Before Wizard Magazine and the many websites covering the comics industry today, there was Amazing Heroes, with whom Thompson was an editor. Amazing Heroes gave readers previews, insights, news and interviews with the top talents of the day. Coverage of both mainstream and independent titles was impressive as well!

Amazing Heroes featuring Elektra; Mechanics miniseries

Thank you Kim Thompson for expanding my reading horizons. My comic-book habit would be a little less stellar without your influence!

No comments:

Post a Comment