October 26, 2011

New 52: The Flash Issue No. 1 Review


For the most part, the new rebooted Flash series for DC's New 52 initiative had incredible artwork. I wasn't prepared for some of the changes that Barry Allen would have to deal with. Frankly, I'm still in disbelief he's even alive. How does the new Flash series stack up with the rest of the New 52 titles?
I didn't pick up Barry's original series and my only exposure to the character was during the Crisis on Infinite Earths miniseries. The Flash that I had grown up with was Wally West and his time as both Kid Flash and taking over the mantle of the new Flash. Mike Baron's run was phenomenal and I suggest you take a peek at the old series and how Wally handled the new role.

Iris West, Patty Spivot and Barry Allen...together again.
How does Barry's old friend Manuel fit into this?
As with DC's New 52, everything we know about Barry Allen is rebooted. Iris and Barry never married and as issue number one describes, they just seem to have a working relationship, if not a prickly one. In fact, he is dating Patty Spivot instead and during one of their outings at an event, an armed group of armed villains, blast their way into the party as well. Before the villains make their getaway in an helicopter, Flash manages to subdue one of them, but both of them land to ground below. Only the Flash survives and when the dead villain is unmasked, Barry instantly recognizes him, as one of his old friends!

Star Wars Old Republic GameStop, Inc.

I must say that I actually enjoyed this issue despite nothing much happening for the Flash. I'm not familiar with Brian Buccelato's work but with Francis Manupul sharing the cowriting duties, I'm impressed with their undertaking of the new Flash series. It's unnerving to see what happens to Barry Allen in the next upcoming issues, given the new changes in his life but I'm along for the ride. Oh, the last page of the first issue is another shocker so stay tuned for issue number 2!

The Good: An average storyline with an interesting cliffhanger at the end. Stay tuned it's not over yet.

The Bad: Changes to Barry's life. I can't even imagine him dating Iris but it may happen!

Final Verdict: B

No comments:

Post a Comment