August 20, 2012

New 52 New Gods

I'm disappointed.

Writer Brian Azzarello has followed up on speculation about a New Gods series by stating that he only intends Orion for now and that he doesn't "want to tease too much other than saying that I think Orion and Wonder Woman interacting together is going to be something that people enjoy". The teaser at the end of Wonder Woman issue 12 which depicted a shadowy figure resembling Orion certainly got me emotional about another revival of Kirby's beloved Fourth World characters.

My only experience with these characters was through the addition of Mr. Miracle and Big Barda in the classic Justice League series in the late 80s. I was also fortunate to own the Hunger Dogs graphic novel which was Kirby's swan song on his beloved creation.

Given their New 52 appearances, I think it's time we saw the return of the rest of the New Gods, besides Darkseid and Steppenwolf. Obviously the events of Final Crisis, are no longer canon so it's time to introduce a new audience to these classic and timeless characters. The fanboy in me can't wait to see artist Cliff Chiang's interpretations of Orion, with a possible appearance by Highfather as well!


You might also like:



No comments:

Post a Comment