A new Dark Knight has emerged on Earth 2 following in the footsteps of the original Batman. Who is this mysterious new hero?
DC Comics' Earth 2 Annual 1 featured the debut of an all-new Batman for that world. Now for newer readers, Earth 2 is parallel world where the Trinity (Superman, Wonder-Woman and Batman) perished in a battle against Steppenwolf, during the invasion of Earth by Apokolips. The identity of the new Dark Knight is certainly a mystery at this point but we examine some possible clues on who could carry on for The Dark Knight:
1. Terry McGinnis - better known as Batman Beyond. The upcoming costume design for the Earth 2 Batman bears a similar resemblance to the Batman Beyond outfit, with it's similar colors. Caveat for this selection would be the confusion created with the digital comics featuring the character
2. Dick Grayson - In pre-New 52 continuity, the Robin of Earth 2 was none other than Dick Grayson. Due to the New 52 reboot, Helena Wayne was the "Girl Wonder" sidekick for Earth 2 Batman. Could writer James Robinson throw in a New 52 twist with Grayson taking on the mantle? After all, the other version of Dick Grayson was Batman at one point, before the events of Flashpoint.
3. Jean-Paul Valley - The only other person to ever step in the shoes of Batman himself, during the Knightfall saga. This is a longshot given the historical context of Golden Age characters that are being utilized in Robinson's storylines. However, the character may find a new home in the New 52 with this new incarnation.
4. Other - Could it be another all-new hero who will don the Dark Knight's cowl instead? We'll see!
Key issues to follow are Earth 2 Annual 1 and Earth 2 Issue 17:
The new Dark Knight in Earth 2 Annual 1 (left) and Earth 2 Issue 17 (right)
New writer Tom Taylor will reveal the identity of the new Dark Knight when he takes over previous Earth 2 scribe James Robinson, in issue 17.
You might also like:
- American Vampire - The Black List Part 1 - Issue 28
- Earth 2 - Issue 5 - Here Comes The Atom!
- Nightwing Issue 0 - The Origin of Dick Grayson
Earth 2 issue 17 image via CBR
*Article revision July 2013